Things to consider before extending your home

Typical types of House Extensions Wirral based Architects House work on are open plan layouts.

When it comes to house extensions Wirral has some beautiful examples of how to impress the neighbours! But, even if your house extension is something a bit more low-key, there are certain things you should consider before you start building to check that you wont have any hiccups or disputes along the way.

Apart from obtaining planning permission and building regulations approval, there are some other things you should be aware of that may apply to you if you are planning to extend your home. Below is the House Architects list of things to consider before extending that you may not have thought of!

  1. You will need to commission a Principal Designer to produce a Construction Design Management (CDM) report before any building works commence. This is required by law under the CDM regulations act 2015. An architect can advise you further on this or you can read up on it and find out what your requirements are here.
  2. If you are building close to a property boundary, a party wall agreement may be required with your neighbour. You can find our more about party wall agreements and if you need one by speaking with an architect or having a look on gov.uk.
  3. If you have any shared drains or services on your site (you can often tell by the presence of a manhole) then you may need permission from the utility company before extending your home. They will let you know how to deal with building on or near to the drain.
  4. In some cases, your home may require an asbestos survey to be undertaken before any works can take place. Asbestos was banned in construction from 1999, so if your property has had work on it before this, there’s a chance it could have asbestos. There are some frequently asked questions on the HSE website which are answered if you’re concerned about asbestos.
  5. If you have trees close to your property or proposed extension this may affect the what the planners will allow. If trees on your property have Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) they will not be able to be removed to make way for an extension without obtaining permission from the local authority.
  6. If your home is within a conservation area boundary or is listed, some of the permitted development rules do not apply to your property and you are more likely to need full planning permission.
  7. You will need to check if your property has any easements, covenants or rights of way that may restrict an extension to your home. This information should be on the deeds to your property. If you’re unsure ask your solicitor.
  8. Do you own the house freehold or leasehold? If you don’t own the lease you need to check with the leaseholder before extending your home.
  9. Once you have obtained planning and building regulations approval, these last for 3 years. If you haven’t started the works within this time your permissions will expire and you will have to make you applications again.
  10. If you are a member of staff or an elected member of your local authority, or you are related to either, then this must be declared on the planning application and your application may take longer.

An architect can help to navigate you through any issues that may arise in connection with the above list of considerations and can help you to consider your viable design options.

At House, we specialise in designing house extensions Wirral home owners love to live in! If you would like to book an appointment to chat to an architect click here.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up to our newsletter

* indicates required


A £150 Voucher towards House Architect's services for just £45